So you’ve just published your website. Congratulations!
Publishing a new website is really exciting and presents you with a multitude of endless opportunities. Now, you’re probably wondering how to best start to generate Web traffic. Great!
There are many different ways to promote your website. Today we’ll focus on adding quality links designed to drive more traffic to your site, as this is one of the best ways to get your website to appear in organic search engine results.
These quality links are known as Incoming Links or Backlinks, and are created when another website links to your website. For example, say someone is visiting website A, where you have a backlink. When someone visits website A, they may come across your link and, if they find it to be relevant to their search, they can simply click on this backlink that will take them directly to your site.
The more websites you link to, the higher your chances of showing up in search engines, and the more likely your website is going to be found. Just think of it as gaining a point every time you create a backlink. The more points you accumulate, the higher your search ranking will go, leading not just to increased search engine rankings but improved page rank, having your site indexed more quickly, and becoming a greater authority website.
Although it’s important to create a large quantity of backlinks, be discerning — realize that sheer backlink numbers aren’t your only goal. Equally important is investing your time in getting quality backlinks, which means choosing websites that have a long, positive history, a lot of traffic, and high page rankings.
Good link-building strategies get your website noticed! A good starting place is to research similar websites, forums, and blogs in order to get involved with your website niche community.
Here are some tips to get you started:
• Create a tutorial or similar application that provides some type of solution. When people see that you provide a popular solution to a common problem, they will be more likely to link to it.
• Use humor and/or viral marketing techniques. This is a great way to bring attention to your website as it not only gets people talking, but also it’s bound to pique their interest, making them eager to visit your website.
1. Social Media. Utilize the many, various social media sites available to promote your website. Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter are great starting places.
2. Search Engine Directories. List your site in one of the popular search engine directories, such as http://www.dmoz.org. Free directories are utilized by thousands of people every day, giving your site the increased exposure you desire.
3. Article Directories. Submit an informative article to several popular article directories. Since you’re allowed to include a link back to your website, this is sure to increase your search engine rankings.
4. Link Bait. When someone finds information on the Web that they deem valuable, they may choose to link to it and/or publish the content on their website.
Note: ask yourself… what would make another website want to connect to my website? What can I do to make my website stand out?